InterVarsity Study Abroad partners with Living and Learning International to provide an 8-week study abroad summer program designed to help you engage with the challenges of a developing nation through experiential learning in intentional Chrisitan community.
There are three summer options available in Ecuador. Students can focus on language learning, serve full-time in a hands-on internship, or a hybrid of both.
Spanish Intensive Track
Grow in language proficiency by taking two courses of Spanish, up to 8 credits, with native Spanish speaking professors. You will also get to practice your Spanish in the city by volunteering with a local organization or ministry while in Ecuador.
Gain practical vocational experience through an internship placement based on your interest, major, internship site availability, and mastery of Spanish language (English speaking sites available). Your internship can also provide an opportunity to serve, learn and “try on” a field or job you are curious to learn more about. Internship sites are varied and include ministries, schools, non-profits, hospitals/clinics, government agencies, for-profit businesses, etc. The program can work with your home institution to award college credit for completing up to 260 hours of internship depending. Students in this track will have informal language instruction by a Spanish tutor.
Don't need a full 6 credit internship or 6+ credits of Spanish? Students can sign up for a hybrid of the two tracks. In the hybrid option, students will start the summer program taking one Spanish class for 4 weeks (3-4 credits) and then transition to an internship (3 credits) for the remaining 4 weeks. This track is a total of 6-7 credits.
This summer opportunity is based in Quito, the nation's capital which is nestled within the Andes Mountains. Quito has amazing weather and is famous for its eternal springtime conditions. The city offers rich history, architecture, friendly people and safe living conditions in which to grow and serve.
- Life in Community: Students live and learn in intentional Chrisitan community with other students to grow in faith and understanding of God’s purposes in the world.
- Service: Students spend 6 days in the Amazon Jungle serving alongside long-term missionaries at a school.
- Cross-Cultural Engagement: Alongside language learning, students spend four weeks living with an Ecuadorian host family and engaging in weekend cultural activities.
How will I grow as a disciple of Christ?
- Through your household community times of bible study and prayer.
- One-on-one mentorship with your Resident Coordinator (RC).
- Weekly chapel with talks and worship.
- Opportunity to engage in a local church.
Talk to an Advisor
Interested in learning more about the Ecuador summer program? We are here to help you navigate questions as you discern, work with your university and plan for summer study abroad. Take the next step and schedule an appointment with an InterVarsity Advisor today.
Talk to an Advisor