Imagine living and working in the vibrant city of Quito, nestled in the highlands of Ecuador. InterVarsity Study Abroad partners with Living and Learning International to provide a study abroad semester designed to combine classroom learning, discipleship in community, and practical internships in this rich cross-cultural setting.
You’ll experience a variety of new cultures, gain a global perspective, and understand the joys and challenges of serving God in a cross-cultural setting. God is using this semester program to challenge college students to grow in their faith, and to discover how their passions and gifts can impact the nations.
- Life in Community: You will live with 6-10 other students in an apartment within walking distance to the education center. Each residential community has a Residential Coordinator, and shares life together through meals, prayer and bible study while abroad.
- Academic Courses: There are three required courses in this program—Spanish, Ecuadorian History, Arts & Culture, and Community Development. You can also add other elective Bible and general education courses for a full academic course load.
- Service and Ministry: Throughout the semester, you will gain practical vocational experience at an internship placement based on your interest and future career goals. Additionally, you will spend 6 days in the Amazon rainforest serving with long-term missionaries at an immersion school.
- Cross-Cultural Engagement: In addition to your internship experience and language learning, you and another student will spend four weeks in the middle of the semester living with an Ecuadorian host family.
- Excursions: The academic calendar ends with three weeks remaining for travel and experiencing God’s creation together. Your cohort will visit Machu Picchu, the Galapagos Islands, and the Coast of Ecuador for celebration and debrief of your semester experience.
This semester abroad is based in Quito, the nation's capital. Quito has amazing weather and is famous for its eternal springtime conditions. The city offers rich history, architecture, friendly people and safe living conditions in which to grow and learn. Additionally, students will have opportunities to explore all four regions of this incredibly diverse country and part of neighboring Peru.
- Spanish, 3-12 units, required
- Ecuador 250/350: History, Art & Culture 1 unit or 3 units, required
- Community Development 100 & Internship/Service-Learning 1-3 units, required
- Christian Spiritual Formation 320, 3 units
- Worldview and World Religions 340, 3 units
- Intercultural Communications 300, 3 units
- Biological Principles 100 & Lab, 3 units + 1 unit lab
- Social Entrepreneurship & Leadership 360, 3 units
How will I grow as a disciple of Christ?
- Through your household community times of bible study and prayer.
- One-on-one mentorship with your Resident Coordinator (RC).
- Weekly chapel with talks and worship.
- Opportunity to engage in a local church and IFES movement, CECE.
Next Step: Talk to an Advisor
Interested in learning more about the Ecuador program? We are here to help you navigate questions as you discern, work with your university and plan for study abroad. Take the next step and schedule an appointment with an InterVarsity Advisor today.
Talk to an Advisor