If you want to touch, taste, see, and feel the rich history, spirituality, and landscape of Ireland—city, mountain, valley, and sea—then join InterVarsity Study Abroad for a weekend in Ireland where you will discover “thin places” where heaven meets earth.
The emerald landscape polished to a shine by the morning mist. The countless sheep around every turn. The sense that something magical is bubbling just under the surface of all this serenity. They weren’t kidding about Ireland. You can feel that something extraordinary awaits you here as tangibly as you can feel the breeze across your face.
Something inexplicable drew you to this place at this time, and you're determined to get at least a glimpse of what and why...
What is possible by the end of Journey Ireland?
- You realize that you have an intimate connection with God the Creator, after immersing yourself in the lush, green countryside, rugged landscapes, and peaceful waters he designed.
- You have a stronger sense of Jesus as “Immanuel” who is with you in the ordinary moments of daily living.
- You return home knowing God your Shepherd is still there guiding you.
- You are ready to take spiritual risks beyond the familiar and into the unknown.
- You understand how an ancient Christian community can provide a rich spiritual heritage and helpful practices you can use today to grow your faith.
- You’ll benefit from the wisdom of St. Patrick and the early Irish Christians, a Christian community that developed in a unique way outside the structures of the Roman Empire.
- You’ll punctuate your days with the rhythm of Celtic liturgy that shows you how it’s possible to pray and reflect in any circumstance, from the mundane to the momentous.
- Your five senses will appreciate the variety offered across the island:
- The traditional music pouring out pub doors in lively Dublin
- The mud gripping your shoes while trekking through sheep fields on the Way of St. Patrick
- The exhilaration of reaching the top of Croagh Patrick after hiking its rocky terrain
- The salty air and striking view of the Atlantic from the Cliffs of Moher
- The cool, mossy stone of monastic ruins in Glendalough
- You’ll learn how a weighty political and religious history has and is still impacting relations between Catholics and Protestants, and Irish and Northern Irish.
When is Journey Ireland?
September 8-16, 2022
Where is it?
We will travel by bus to several cities throughout Ireland beginning in Dublin. You will need to book flights to and from the Dublin airport.
When should I arrive?
Plan to arrive at the hostel in Dublin by the early afternoon of Thursday, September 8th, 2022.
How much does it cost to attend?
The price for Journey Ireland is $1750. InterVarsity staff will be able to attend for the reduced price of $1475.
What is included?
Journey Ireland includes housing from Thursday night, September 8, through Friday morning, September 16. Besides a few lunches/dinners, all meals are provided beginning with dinner on Thursday, September 8.
What if I need to cancel?
The $250 deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable.
What is housing like?
You will start your Journey in a hostel, which might be a first for you. A hostel is different from a hotel in that you pay for a bed, not a room, so there is a possibility that you will room with people not attending Journey and not of your same gender. The other accommodations are hotels and B&Bs. Please not that space is a premium in European cities - everything is smaller: apartments, houses, hotels, and hostels.
What should I pack?
- Hiking shoes, preferably not tennis shoes
- Wool or synthetic hiking socks, preferably not cotton athletic socks
- Waterproof jacket
- Towel and personal toiletries
- Bible and journal
Which airport should I fly into?
Fly into the Dublin airport.
How can I get from the airport to the hostel/starting point?
You have a few options.
Take the 747 bus (run by Dublin Bus) from the Clarion Hotel at the airport. Go south, towards Heuston Station; it will be about a 20 minute ride.
Take the 700 bus (run by Aircoach), which leaves right from the terminals, going south, towards Leopardstown.
Can I stay in Ireland longer?
You are welcome to stay longer in Ireland, either before or after Journey! You will need to book your own accommodations for any additional nights.
When do I pay my balance?
Any remaining balance needs to be paid by August 31, 2022.
Ask Another Question
Don’t see your question above? Ask it in an email and we’ll get back to you with an answer! Send us your question.