If you want to uncover the story your life is telling, then join InterVarsity Study Abroad for a weekend in Paris where you will connect your own story to a timeless one hidden in plain sight in art, architecture, and sacred spaces.
Tour groups clump together, cameras click mindlessly, and feet hastily shuffle in the aisles. You let all that fade into a hum as you sit apart on a well-worn pew. Your gaze turns upward to the light streaming through the stained glass. You know that on the other side, the river rushes past and unrivalled views beckon in every direction. Yet, you’re drawn soulward.
Surprisingly, the centuries-old, crowd-drawing artistry hints at a fresh, personal insight to be found here. It’s something a camera can’t possibly capture, but your spirit longs to…
What is possible by the end of Journey France?
- You have a new understanding of God as the author of your life story, giving you clarity to live with intention.
- You return refreshed after learning to pause regularly for reflection, even among the buzz of life.
- You are ready to let your life point to something greater than yourself.
- You appreciate how the beauty and grandeur of sacred spaces lead you to worship the original source and inspiration of that beauty.
- You’re grateful for the strength formed by a community brought together to build each other up and build upon each other.
- You’ll practice a redemptive way of seeing tourist hot spots.
- You’ll stroll for hours through streets and halls rich in both beauty and theology.
- You’ll discover how the sacred is breaking into the secular in a country where centuries of intermingling religion and politics led to revolution.
When is Journey France?
Friday, November 23 to Sunday, November 25, 2018
Where is it?
We will be staying at MIJE, a very centrally located youth hostel in the Marais neighborhood.
6 Rue de Fourcy, 75004 Paris, France
When should I arrive?
On Friday, plan to arrive at the hostel between 4pm - 5pm to check in and get settled. The retreat will begin at 6pm.
How much does it cost to attend?
The price for Journey France ranges from $245 to $275 depending on when the attendee registers for the event. Sponsorships available up to $150. See short-essay requirements below for details on receiving a sponsorship.
What is included?
The Journey France rate includes a two-night stay at the hostel, meals beginning with dinner on Friday and ending with lunch on Sunday morning, and bed linens. Transportation and site fees are also included. You will need to bring your own towel.
What if I need to cancel?
The $50 deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable.
What is housing like?
You will be staying in a hostel, which might be a first for some of you. A hostel is different from a hotel in that you pay for a bed, not a room, so there is a possibility that you will room with people not attending Journey France and not of your same gender. This may be a new experience for you, so we ask you to approach it as part of crossing cultures. Also, know in advance that space is a premium in European cities—everything is smaller: apartments, houses, hotels, and hostels.
At MIJE, unfortunately there is not a refrigerator or shared kitchen in which to store any items for special dietary needs or medications; please let us know if this is a requirement and we should be able to make arrangements at a nearby church or staff home. Bed linens are provided. There is free storage for luggage and free Wi-Fi in the hostel.
What should I pack?
- Clothes appropriate for the weather in Paris at this time of year; check the weather before you leave.
- A towel.
- A padlock if you want to lock your luggage at the hostel.
- Money for meals during your travel to and from Paris and for any souvenirs.
- A journal to take notes, reflect, and write down what you're hearing from God.
Which airport should I fly into?
Charles DeGaulle (CDG), Orly (ORY), and Beauvais (BVA) are all options for arriving into Paris. EasyJet flies into both CDG and ORY. RyanAir flies into Beauvais, but be advised it will take longer to get into Paris from Beauvais.
How can I get from the airport to the hostel?
From CDG, take the RER B south into the city and switch to the metro.
From Orly, we recommend the OrlyBus as a simple and affordable way of getting into the city and to a metro line.
From Beauvais, you can take a bus (cheapest) or shuttle to get to the Porte Maillot metro station and then take the metro to the hostel.
Until we confirm the exact MIJE hostel building for our group, please find more exact directions by searching from your airport/train station to the St. Paul metro station.
Can I stay in Paris longer?
You are welcome to stay longer in Paris, either before or after Journey. You will need to book your own hostel for any additional nights. Please let us know if you plan to arrive early or stay late, since we may have other opportunities for you to participate in, if you're interested. For example, attending a French-speaking church on Sunday evening.
When does Journey France end?
The retreat ends after lunch on Sunday. Please try to book departure flights no earlier than 3pm so that you have time to eat lunch on your own and take appropriate transportation back to the airport.
How do I pay my balance after registering?
Log in to your registration through this link. Use the email and password that you used when registering. A week before the event, the remaining balance will automatically be deducted from the credit or debit card with which you registered.
Ask Another Question
Don’t see your question above? Ask it in an email and we’ll get back to you with an answer! Send us your question.
SPONSORSHIP OPTIONS: Up to $150 off Journey France
All students are eligible to receive up to $150 in sponsorships toward the cost of attending Journey France. In order to apply for a sponsorship, answer the following three questions:
1. How has your faith been impacted (positively or negatively) by your study abroad experience so far? If you don't identify as a person of faith, how has study abroad challenged your worldview and search for meaning? (1-2 paragraphs)
2. What areas of your life would you like to pay more attention to as you spend time in sacred spaces, reflecting on your journey through art and architecture, and traveling like a pilgrim in France? (1-2 paragraphs)
3. How much sponsorship money ($1-$150) would help you attend Journey France? (Don't be shy!)
4. If you are part of an InterVarsity chapter in the US, have you asked your staff/chapter if they can provide a scholarship?
ADVANCE RATE: $245
Rate valid until Friday, October 26. Register until 11:59 CST.
STANDARD RATE: $275
Rate valid until Friday, November 9. Register until 11:59 CST.
To register, you must pay a $50 non-refundable deposit.
Register Now for Journey France