Settle into life in Galati, a post-Communist industrial city on the Danube River in the east of Romania. Serve among vulnerable and marginalized children and families through Community Centers and involvement in impoverished neighborhoods. Explore different approaches to cross-cultural mission, spiritual formation, community development and ministry among the poor. Build new friendships, invest yourself in the lives of the vulnerable, and seek God in the context of a community in transition.
- Academic Courses: You will take four courses as part of the program: Romanian language, The Church and Christian Approaches to Poverty, Spiritual Formation and Society and Challenges in a Post Communist context.
- Internship: In addition to coursework, you will gain practical experience through an internship throughout the semester, aligning your vocational interests with local community needs.
- Life in Community: Throughout the entirety of the semester, you’ll live with a local host family. You will live and learn within the long-term community and ministry of Word Made Flesh (WMF), where you will to grow in faith and understanding of God’s purposes in the world.
- Travel in Europe: In addition to course trips visiting post communist contexts of neighboring Moldova, Ukraine, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, InterVarsity Study Abroad welcomes you to one of InterVarsity’s European Journeys. Journey is a way of turning wanderlust into an opportunity to be transformed into a spiritual pilgrim.
- Romanian Language Learning (ROM)
- Society and Challenges in a Post Communist Context (POL/PSCI/HIS/SOC/INCL)
- The Church and Christian Approaches to Poverty (RS/RELI/CHMN/BIBL)
- Spiritual Formation in Missional Community (RS/RELI/BIBL/CHMN)
- Cross Cultural Practicum organized based on your interest and focus of study, which can include: Christian ministry and mission, social work, education, NGO management, equine therapy, international studies, health care, community development, job creation, urban farming, and Eastern European studies.
How will I grow as a disciple of Christ?
- Join in the weekly spiritual rhythms and values expressed by the WMF community.
- Cultivate a spirituality that sustains life and ministry in cross-cultural communities working among the poor.
- Regular check in's with a mentor.
- Participate in the life of a local church with the option to fellowship with students in the IFES movement, OSCER.
Talk to an Advisor
Interested in learning more about the Romania program? We are here to help you navigate questions as you discern, work with your university and plan for summer study abroad. Take the next step and schedule an appointment with an InterVarsity Advisor today.
Talk to an Advisor