If you want to touch, taste, see, and feel the rich history, spirituality, and landscape of Ireland—city, mountain, valley, and sea—then join InterVarsity Study Abroad for a weekend in Ireland where you will discover “thin places” where heaven meets earth.
The emerald landscape polished to a shine by the morning mist. The countless sheep around every turn. The sense that something magical is bubbling just under the surface of all this serenity. They weren’t kidding about Ireland. You can feel that something extraordinary awaits you here as tangibly as you can feel the breeze across your face.
Something inexplicable drew you to this place at this time, and you're determined to get at least a glimpse of what and why...
What is possible by the end of Journey Ireland?
- You realize that you have an intimate connection with God the Creator, after immersing yourself in the lush, green countryside, rugged landscapes, and peaceful waters he designed.
- You have a stronger sense of Jesus as “Immanuel” who is with you in the ordinary moments of daily living.
- You return home knowing God your Shepherd is still there guiding you.
- You are ready to take spiritual risks beyond the familiar and into the unknown.
- You understand how an ancient Christian community can provide a rich spiritual heritage and helpful practices you can use today to grow your faith.
- You’ll benefit from the wisdom of St. Patrick and the early Irish Christians, a Christian community that developed in a unique way outside the structures of the Roman Empire.
- You’ll punctuate your days with the rhythm of Celtic liturgy that shows you how it’s possible to pray and reflect in any circumstance, from the mundane to the momentous.
- Your five senses will appreciate the variety offered across the island:
- The traditional music pouring out pub doors in lively Dublin
- The mud gripping your shoes while trekking through sheep fields on the Way of St. Patrick
- The exhilaration of reaching the top of Croagh Patrick after hiking its rocky terrain
- The salty air and striking view of the Atlantic from the Cliffs of Moher
- The cool, mossy stone of monastic ruins in Glendalough
- You’ll learn how a weighty political and religious history has and is still impacting relations between Catholics and Protestants, and Irish and Northern Irish.
Visit our Facebook page to see pictures of previous Journey Ireland trips >>
When is Journey Ireland?
Friday, March 23 through Friday, March 30, 2018
Where is it?
Various cities throughout Ireland, beginning in Dublin and traveling through Armagh, Glendalough, and Westport, and ending in Dublin.
When should I arrive?
Plan to arrive at the hostel in Dublin by 4pm on Friday.
How much does it cost to attend?
The price for Journey Ireland ranges from $595 to $645 depending on when the attendee registers for the event. Sponsorships available up to $300. See short-essay requirements below for details on receiving a sponsorship.
What is included?
Journey Ireland includes housing from Friday night, March 23, through Thursday night, March 29. With the exception of one lunch and one dinner, all meals are provided beginning with breakfast on Saturday, March 24 through breakfast on Friday, March 30. There will be enough extra groceries for some people to make sandwiches for the two meals out, if necessary, but plan on bringing cash for two meals.
What if I need to cancel?
The $85 deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable.
What is housing like?
You will be staying in a hostel, which might be a first for some of you. A hostel is different from a hotel in that you pay for a bed, not a room, so there is a possibility that you will room with people not attending Journey and not of your same gender. This may be a new experience for you, so we ask you to approach it as part of crossing cultures. Also, know in advance that space is a premium in European cities - everything is smaller: apartments, houses, hotels, and hostels.
What should I pack?
- Hiking shoes, preferably not tennis shoes
- Wool or synthetic hiking socks, preferably not cotton athletic socks
- Waterproof jacket
- Towel and personal toiletries
- Bible and journal
Which airport should I fly into?
Fly into the Dublin airport.
How can I get from the airport to the hostel/starting point?
You have a few options.
Take the 747 bus (run by Dublin Bus) from the Clarion Hotel at the airport. Go south, towards Heuston Station; it will be about a 20 minute ride. Get off at the College Green stop, and walk along College Green/R137 towards Anglesea Street (away from Trinity College). Turn right onto Anglesea and follow it all the way to the corner of Fleet Street. The hostel is right on the corner. It should be about a five minute walk.
Take the 700 bus (run by Aircoach), which leaves right from the terminals, going south, towards Leopardstown. After about a 30 minute ride, get off at Trinity College. Walk south on College Green/R138 towards College Green/R137. Follow College Green/R137 towards Anglesea Street (away from Trinity College). Turn right onto Anglesea and follow it all the way to the corner of Fleet Street. The hostel is right on the corner. It should be about a five minute walk.
Can I stay in Ireland longer?
You are welcome to stay longer in Ireland, either before or after Journey! You will need to book your own hostel for any additional nights.
How do I pay my balance after registering?
After registering, the balance may be paid by logging back into your registration through this link. A week before the event, the remaining balance will be automatically deducted from the credit or debit card with which you registered.
Ask Another Question
Don’t see your question above? Ask it in an email and we’ll get back to you with an answer! Send us your question.
SPONSORSHIP OPTIONS: Up to $300 off Journey Ireland
All students are eligible to receive up to $300 in sponsorships toward the cost of attending Journey Ireland. You'll meet your sponsor in person during the trip! In order to apply for a sponsorship, answer the following three questions:
1. How has your faith been impacted (positively or negatively) by your study abroad experience so far? If you don't identify as a person of faith, how has study abroad challenged your worldview and search for meaning? (1-2 paragraphs)
2. What areas of your life would you like to pay more attention to as you spend time in sacred spaces and learn about the way of St. Patrick? (1-2 paragraphs)
3. How much sponsorship money ($1-$300) would help you attend Journey Ireland? (Don't be shy!)
>> Click here to email your sponsorship application answers
ADVANCE RATE: $595
Rate valid until Friday, February 23. Register until 11:59 CST.
STANDARD RATE: $645
Rate valid until Friday, March 9. Register until 11:59 CST.
To register, you must pay a $85 non-refundable deposit.
Register Now for Journey Ireland