Semester Program FAQ

*InterVarsity partners with GO ED., a private faith-based provider of education abroad, currently hosting sites in Kigali, Rwanda and Chiang Mai, Thailand. GO ED. receives all program fees, delivers the curriculum, provides housing, and facilitates transfer of completed credit to a student’s home university after successful completion of the program.

What are the program dates?

Programs are 16 weeks long and operate both semesters. Spring semester begins the second week of January and ends the first week of May. Fall semester begins the third week of August and ends the second week of December.

How much does the program cost?

$14,000. GO ED. bills you and you pay them directly. You do not pay through your home university. Billing takes place at the beginning of the semester, and payments must be completed before transcripts are issued.

Program fees cover:

  • Tuition
  • Room & board
  • International airfare
  • Travel & medical insurance
  • Local & regional program travel
  • Phone rental
  • Textbooks
  • Visa

Students are responsible for:

  • $50 application fee
  • Travel to/from U.S. orientation
  • Spending money, souvenirs
  • Immunizations (in U.S.)
  • Passport

How do I petition my university to participate in this program?

Most universities have a process for students applying to new third-party programs, which involves visiting the study abroad office, filling out forms, and getting approval from advisors. Our team will provide program information as required and assist you throughout this process.

How do program credits transfer to my university?

Program transcripts are issued by nationally accredited host universities. GO ED.'s accredited universities are Payap University (Thailand program), and Uganda Christian University (Rwanda program). If U.S. regional accreditation is required, their U.S. Institution of Record is Houghton College in New York.

Will my financial aid apply to the program?

Depending upon your home university’s policies, your existing financial aid may apply (loans, grants, scholarships). Contact your school’s study abroad office and/or financial aid office to find out what forms are required to request a financial-aid agreement.

Are there any scholarships?

There are additional scholarships specifically for study abroad, such as the Gilman Scholarship, Boren Scholarship, Freeman-Asia Award, and Fund for Education Abroad Scholarship. We encourage all applicants to pursue these and other funding sources (e.g., church support, crowdfunding, events). InterVarsity Study Abroad is sometimes able to offer scholarships as well; please see Apply for a Scholarship for current offerings.

What are the program requirements?

Applicants must be full-time enrolled university students with a minimum GPA of 3.0. There are no language requirements; instruction is in English, and local language learning is informal and not for credit.